Independence Brewing Co. is seeking an experienced Quality Manager to perform quality testing and
analysis of our product and processes, and work with production teams to ensure quality standards are
The Quality Manager will perform routine testing and analysis of water, raw materials, wort, yeast and
beer throughout the brewing and packaging processes. The ability to work as part of a team and
communicate well is essential.
Key responsibilities include: Water Analysis, Microbiological QA/QC, Yeast Management, Fermentation
Management and Sensory Analysis Panels.
About the role:
- Maintains product quality through adherence to good manufacturing practices, product
specifications, and quality procedures.
- Process and analyze the microbiology of the beer and make recommendations to the brewers
and management team for quality improvement.
- Effective reporting and timely communication for immediate action on any out of spec or
- Proactively identifies and prioritizes improvements that drive quality and minimize waste and
- Conduct water quality testing and analysis, tests water filters and works with brewers to make
adjustments to water for brewing and sanitizing.
- Perform Plato and pH measurements of all fermenting tanks, brew water, grain mash, and kettle
wort. Record daily gravities and pH measurements.
- Conduct wort stability testing.
- Plate aseptic sterile samples for full microbiology analysis in anaerobic and aerobic
environments that are pulled from fermenters, bright tanks, cans for the detection of beer
spoilage organism and wild yeast.
- Manage and develop yeast program including ordering, propagating, monitoring viability and
pitch rates with input from Director of Brewing Operations. Clean and sanitize yeast brinks.
- Measure and track dissolved oxygen and CO2 levels.
- Calibrates, maintains and repairs testing equipment to ensure instruments are operational and
- Maintain packaged beer archive for sensory panels.
- Manage sensory panels and record results for stability analysis and shelf-life recommendations.
- Work with the Director of Brewing Operations and Marketing Department to handle customer
complaints regarding quality issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering related field.
- Minimum of 3 years hands-on work experience in high-speed packaging (preferably in the food
or beverage industry). Brewery experience a plus.
- Experience in quality control testing procedures and internal and external sanitation of beverage
equipment with a clear understanding of all aspects of blending, product attributes
record keeping, yields, etc.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft business applications and various reporting software.
- Data recording and exceptional interpersonal and verbal communication skills required.
- Solid business acumen including management, analytical, problem-thinking, project management, business writing and reporting skills.
- Strong organization, communication, and collaborative skills are essential.
- Must be able to maintain and organize design of experiments and a materials lab.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize independently.
- HACCP, internal audits, and good manufacturing practices (FSMA, cGMP)
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible Full-Time schedule that may include weekends and holidays.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
Please submit resume with cover letter at: https://independencebrewing.com/jobs/